Leading manufacturers in production sound technology diversify best-in-class Astral-series wireless audio products
REEDSBURG, WI, July 25, 2023 — Sound Devices has announced the launch of the latest additions to its innovative Astral series of wireless audio products: the A20-Nexus Go true-diversity digital wireless receiver, and the A20-TX digital wireless transmitter. Purposefully designed to streamline wireless audio processes, Astral brings innovative features like Sound Devices’ proprietary SpectraBand, GainForward, and NexLink technology into a versatile ecosystem of portable, rugged, and easy to operate wireless audio devices that function across a variety of live and recorded sound applications anywhere in the world. A20-Nexus Go is available now from MSRP $8495, and A20-TX from MSRP $2450. For more information on the Astral series, please click here.
Ready, Set, Go!
Designed for the on-the-move production sound professional, A20-Nexus Go is a portable 4-, 6-, or 8-channel wireless receiver ideal for mobile rigs and fast-moving production. Users can scan an industry-leading global tuning range of 169 – 1525 MHz with Sound Devices’ SpectraBand technology to quickly find clean and open frequencies anywhere in the world, easily assign transmitters to those frequencies using A20-Nexus Go’s AutoAssign function, adjust transmitter gain as needed directly from the receiver using GainForward, and keep tabs on any potential RF difficulties with A20-Nexus Go’s integrated Real Time Frequency Analysis (RTSA) functionality. Combined, this makes A20-Nexus Go a versatile wireless hub packed with forward-thinking features that can replace multiple devices in any crowded production sound bag.
“We created A20-Nexus Go based on the feedback of our users in the field – professionals looking for a portable wireless solution that could deliver these features in a compact, easy-to-use format,” said Sound Devices CEO Matt Anderson. “A20-Nexus Go is ready to go when you are, easy to adapt to any situation, and delivers when it counts across a variety of wireless use cases.”
A20-Nexus Go Product Features
- 4-channel ultra-high-performance, true-diversity receivers in a half-rack size (8.0” x 6.6” x 1.6” / 20.3cm x 16.8cm x 4.1cm).
- Expandable to 6 or 8 channels via A20-Nexus Go 2-Channel Expansion Licenses.
- 169 MHz – 1525 MHz tuning range via SpectraBand Technology.
- NexLink: integrated, long-distance remote control of all wireless transmitters, including group power on/off.
- AutoAssign: automatic deployment of clean frequencies in seconds.
- Integrated Real Time Spectrum Analyzer (RTSA) and scanning for intuitive frequency coordination.
- Flexible powering: via DC input, 8-Series, or AC mains (with optional adapter).
- DB-25 connector for 8 channels of mic, line, or AES outputs.
- Wide, 6.2” color OLED array with touch for control and monitoring.
- A20-QuickDock allows docking and undocking in seconds from 8-Series mixer-recorders with no tools or additional hardware.
- Supports GainForward Architecture: No gain setting on the A20 transmitter. Adjust gain at the receiver or mixer.
- 100% digital long-range modulation delivers the longest transmission distance of any digital system on the market.
- RF SAW filters for excellent rejection of interference from nearby IFB or camera hop transmitters.
- Excellent audio quality, full 10 Hz – 20 kHz audio bandwidth.
- BNC timecode input for auto timecode sync of transmitters over NexLink.
- Front panel and rear panel BNC antenna inputs. Compatible with passive and bias-powered antennas
- Supports control of the Wisycom LFA smart antenna.
- Cascade out option on rear BNCs for cascading multiple A20-Nexus Go units.
- USB-A port for thumb drives, keyboards, transmitter pairing, and timecode syncing. Supports USB hubs.
A kaleidoscope of compatibility in digital wireless transmitters
The A20-TX digital wireless transmitter utilizes a combination of innovative technologies and intuitive compatibility to make it a versatile, easily adaptable digital wireless transmitter. Built to offer a wider range of input compatibility than any other transmitter on the market, A20-TX serves equally well with 2- or 3-wire lavs, dynamic and phantom powered microphones, balanced line-level sources, AES digital mics, and musical instruments. A20-TX utilizes the same high headroom mic preamp from Sound Devices’ 8-Series mixer-recorders – an industry first in a digital wireless transmitter – thus guaranteeing high-quality sonic purity with a minimum of noise. Multiple A20-TX transmitters can be controlled remotely by Astral-series wireless receivers utilizing Sound Devices’ long-range NexLink remote wireless control technology, and gain can be adjusted directly from the receiver using GainForward. Ensuring long-term ease of use, A20-TX has a 12-hour battery life and is compatible with both standard and rechargeable AA batteries.
“A20-TX is the culmination of years of development and innovation in wireless transmitter technology from both the Sound Devices and Audio Ltd. teams,” said Anderson. “As a result, it is a highly engineered tool perfect for building out your wireless audio system, and functions perfectly alongside our Astral series receivers.”
A20-TX Product Features:
- Worldwide VHF and UHF tuning range from 169 MHz-1525 MHz.
- Up to 12 hours battery runtime.
- Eco-friendly operation from rechargeable Lithium batteries or from standard AA batteries.
- Built-in battery charger via USB-C.
- Full remote control of the A20-TX via A20-Remote companion app and from A20-Nexus and A20-Nexus Go via long-range NexLink.
- State-of-the-art 100% digital long-range modulation delivers the longest transmission distance of any system on the market.
- RF Power output from 2 mW to 40 mW.
- Lemo input supports 2-wire or 3-wire mono lav, balanced mic, switchable 12, 48V phantom, balanced line-level, AES3, AES42 (compatible with Schoeps SuperCMIT), and guitar (w/ optional Smart Guitar Cable).
- GainForward Architecture – no gain control to worry about on the A20-TX.
- Full 10 Hz – 20 kHz audio bandwidth.
- 8-Series, fully balanced mic preamp built in (140 dB dynamic range).
- Ultra-quiet lavalier mic preamp (134 dB dynamic range).
- Built-in 32-bit float, 48 kHz recorder with removable micro-SD card.
- Ultra-stable timecode built in, auto jammed via wireless NexLink.
- Sunlight-readable ePaper screen for control and display. Display persists when powered off.
- USB-C for pairing with the A20-Nexus, file offload, charging, and timecode jamming.
- A20-TX Switch: Optional user-programmable bayonet switch, magnetically sensed and physically removable.
“With the Astral series, we set out to design a family of wireless audio products that could rise to the challenges facing audio professionals in the RF realms,” Anderson concluded. “The combined experience of the Sound Devices, Audio Ltd. and larger Audiotonix teams enabled us to push these technologies forward in ways that we believe will be meaningful and useful for professionals for decades to come.”
For more information about the Sound Devices Astral Series, please click here.
About Sound Devices
For 25 years, Sound Devices has created premier audio equipment that helps sound professionals capture superior audio. The company’s products have been used on the sets of award-winning movies, TV shows, and documentaries. Sound Devices designs, assembles, and supports its products at their Reedsburg, Wisconsin, headquarters and their Madison, Wisconsin, and Rickmansworth, UK, offices. For more information, visit www.sounddevices.com.