AMSTERDAM, The Netherlands, November 2, 2023. FabFilter is proud to announce immediate availability of Pro- R 2, a transformative update to its groundbreaking Pro-R reverb. Pro-R 2 brings a raft of new next-gen features to what was already a widely respected reverb plug-in, including comprehensive multichannel compatibility, two brand-new reverb algorithms, IR import and replication, ducking and gating functions, analog-style saturation, and much more. It is a huge technological and functional leap forward for the plug-in, and one made without any compromise to the slick workflow and stellar sound quality that Pro-R users already know and love.
Full immersive audio support
Place reverbs in three-dimensional space with support for immersive channel layouts up to 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos. Pro-R 2 configures itself for multichannel formats automatically whenever it is added to a surround channel, and individual Decay Rate and Post EQ bands can be applied to any combination of channels using the new Speakers panel. Meanwhile, the new Surround Settings panel provides straightforward controls for balancing the relative levels of every reverb parameter — Predelay, Character, Decay Rate, etc — between the front and back of the immersive space. A massive amount of work has gone into the implementation of surround cross feeding, delivering an exceptionally convincing sense of space; and with its intuitive approach and liberating flexibility, Pro- R 2 yields spectacular results without letting complicated channel routing get in the way of creativity.
All-new Vintage and Plate reverb Styles
Expanding on the clean, natural sound of Pro-R, Pro-R 2 introduces two new reverb algorithms that bring a diversity of retro flavors to mixes. ‘Vintage’ is inspired by classic digital reverb units of the ’80s and ’90s, and is the go-to for long, bright hyper-real spatial ambiences, while ‘Plate’ serves up the evocative metallic sound of plate reverb — ideal for drums and vocals. Together, the two new styles broaden Pro-R 2’s spatializing remit out from the realistic physical environments for which its predecessor was known into more overtly synthetic textural territory.
Impulse response (IR) import
As if tripling the number of reverb styles on offer was not enough, Pro-R 2 also adds the ability to import impulse responses and have them automatically recreated as algorithmic setups — including Decay Rate and Post EQ shaping — that closely match their sonic characteristics. Whether wanting to binge on the vast array of free impulse responses available online, or capture and emulate favorite vocal booth, drum room, or hardware reverb in Pro-R 2, IR import opens up a whole new world of possibilities.
Extended reverb parameters and controls
Pro-R 2 provides even more tools with which to design dream reverbs. Set the wet signal level to drop whenever the dry signal is present with the Ducking control; dial in density and saturation with the Thickness knob; get your Phil Collins on with the tempo-syncable Auto Gate; and capture and hold the tail indefinitely with a click of the Freeze button. No matter what anyone’s reverberation goal might be, Pro-R 2 has everything needed to realize it.
Full-featured preset browser
A great improvement on the simple hierarchical menu of Pro-R, Pro-R 2’s streamlined new preset browser makes it easier than ever to navigate and manage the factory library and user presets. Assign editable tags for filtered searching, set presets as favorites for one-click filtering, and add author names and text descriptions. And if the original Pro-R is installed then all its presets appear in Pro-R 2’s library as well.
- Versatile, user-friendly, and sonically superlative professional reverb with three core algorithms for simulating realistic physical spaces, retro digital hardware, and electromechanical plates
- Unified room model and decay time (Space) knob, facilitating smooth transitions between reverb sizes and styles, from tiny boxes to vast arenas and everything in between
- Innovative Decay Rate EQ for incredibly precise shaping of tail frequencies over time, and six-band Post EQ for output equalization
- NEW! Full immersive audio support up to 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos, with per-band Decay Rate and Post EQ channel routing, and a dedicated panel for balancing individual reverb parameter levels between the front and back of the image
- NEW! ‘Vintage’ reverb algorithm, replicating the sound and character of early digital reverbs
- NEW! ‘Plate’ reverb algorithm, replicating the sound and character of vintage plate reverbs
- NEW! IR import function (WAV and AIFF): algorithmically recreate and manipulate the sounds of favorite impulse responses within Pro-R 2
- NEW! Ducking control for effortless separation of dry and wet signals
- NEW! Thickness control for dialing in program-dependent density and saturation
- NEW! Intelligent Auto Gate
- NEW! Freeze button for endless playback of the captured reverb buffer at the point of activation
- NEW! Full-featured preset browser, with tags, favorites, search and filter functions, and new factory preset library
- NEW! Optional piano scale in the interactive reverb display for ‘musical’ EQ frequency referencing and snapping
- NEW! Output level meters
- IMPROVED! Increased Decay Rate range (25-400%)
- IMPROVED! Mid/Side option added to Post EQ
- IMPROVED! Speakers settings added to Decay Rate and Post EQ for channel selection in immersive channel layouts
- IMPROVED! Predelay knob moved to top section
FabFilter Pro-R 2 is now available for EUR 169, USD 169, or GBP 144, supporting both Windows and macOS in VST and VST 3, Audio Units, AAX, and AudioSuite plug-in formats. Bundles with FabFilter Pro-R 2 and other FabFilter plug-ins are also available at: www.fabfilter.com/shop
Existing FabFilter customers can purchase or upgrade to FabFilter Pro-R 2 with very attractive discounts by logging into their online user account at: www.fabfilter.com/myaccount
System requirements are either Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, or Vista (32-bit and 64-bit) and a VST 2/3 host, or Pro Tools, or macOS 10.13 or higher (64-bit only) with Intel or Apple Silicon processor, and an Audio Units host, VST 2/3 host, or Pro Tools.
FabFilter offers free 30-day evaluation extensions for all its plug-ins, including Pro-R 2.
Evaluation copies are available at: www.fabfilter.com/download. On request, we will gladly send you an NFR license key for review purposes. Screenshots and press kits are available at: www.fabfilter.com/press