AVID - Pro Tools - M-Audio at NAMM
January 12, 2011
The NAMM show opens tomorrow, but earlier tonight I had the gustatory and sociable pleasure of attending a dinner party at the invitation of AVID. It was mercifully short on speeches and long on great food and conversation.
The message that was conveyed by AVID key personnel was received, loud and clear, as being one of opening up all systems to "enthusiasts" (AVID's preferred term) and professionals alike. Gone are the days of this being tied to that, of having to buy one thing to get at another - now you buy the box from AVID and use any software with it, or you buy the software and use it with hardware of your choice. And if you want to have both the software and hardware from AVID, they won't mind, either...
Here are the key items AVID is keen to present at the show, as per today's press release, here quoted in full:
Contact: Christi Dean, 978-640-5147, firstname.lastname@example.org
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Avid Empowers Musicians to Elevate Their Sound with Bold New Live Performance and Recording Solutions
Next-gen DJ software, a cutting-edge new synthesizer, effects and emulations for Eleven Rack and new Mbox family options deliver breakthrough tools for taking digital audio creations to the next level
NAMM Show (Booth #6700) ANAHEIM, Calif.—January 13, 2011—Avid® (NASDAQ: AVID) today introduced a series of new live performance and recording solutions for independent musicians looking to take their digital audio creations to the next level. The new tools—which include the M-Audio® Venom® virtual analog synthesizer, Torq® 2.0 DJ software, the Eleven® Rack Expansion Pack and new Mbox® family options—deliver innovative, professional features and flexible, open workflows so artists can create distinctive and compelling audio, in the studio or on stage.
Venom: New Virtual Analog Synthesizer Brings Unprecedented Sound Options to Customers of All Skill Levels
Merging Avid’s expertise in virtual instrument development and keyboard design, the M-Audio Venom synthesizer delivers an aggressive take on the emulation of classic analog synthesis—combining the warm sound and character of vintage keyboards with the intuitive control and workflow advantages of modern digital processing to provide cutting-edge sound options to musicians of all skill levels. This new entry into the synthesizer market represents a dramatic departure from traditional virtual analog keyboards with the following features:
- Extensive sound design capabilities—allow customers to create distinctive sounds using 41 oscillator waves and 53 drum sounds sampled from renowned vintage keyboards. Users can add realism to their mixes with a DSP-induced oscillator drift, and additional sound complexity with a 12-voice polyphony with three oscillators per voice, as well as 16 modulation routings.
- Full-sized keyboard and ergonomic design—enables customers to comfortably create music and play using a 49-note, full-size, synth-action keybed and intuitive top-panel controls.
- Included Vyzex Venom software editor—provides a clear visual representation of all synth settings and parameters so users can arrange sounds into banks, rename patches, save backups on their computers and collaborate with other users. Users can also mash up multiple patches and create new hybrid sounds with the built-in patch collider.
- Built-in USB audio/MIDI interface—gives customers the ability to record audio from instruments, mics or other sound sources, or process external audio using Venom onboard effects and filters, without the need for additional audio interface hardware.
- Compatibility with Pro Tools and third-party recording solutions—opens up workflows so customers can work directly with Pro Tools®, Pro Tools M-Powered™, Pro Tools SE and or third-party DAWs, including Ableton Live, Propellerhead Reason, Apple Logic and GarageBand, forming a powerful, all-in-one music creation, mixing and recording solution.
Torq 2.0—Next-Generation DJ Software Delivers Open Platform for Creative Performance and Production
Rebuilt from the ground up by Avid’s acclaimed software development teams, Torq 2.0 is a high-performance solution featuring advanced professional features and new flexible workflow options for creative DJ performance and real-time remixing and production. New features in Torq 2.0 include:
- Four virtual decks with EQ, level control, headphone cueing and crossfade—enable customers to play four tracks at once to create unique, complex and dynamic mixes.
- Traq Morph™ technology—patent pending innovation blends music tracks in exciting new ways by intelligently applying audio effects during crossfade.
- Open, flexible workflows—provide DJs with the flexibility to use the software with M-Audio Xponent® and Conectiv® DJ and third-party hardware, or stand-alone without any hardware at all.
- Updated user interface and database—gives users the ability to sort through tens of thousands of tracks, including Apple iTunes Store libraries, to quickly create distinctive mixes.
- 13 built-in effects and VST effect support—enable customers to reinvent sound by stacking up to four simultaneous built-in effects and one VST effect per deck, allowing for up to 20 effects at once.
- Advanced recording options—empower DJs with the ability to capture their entire performance with an integrated performance recorder for distribution or editing. As a result of ReWire, they can also create, mix and record with Pro Tools or third-party DAWs, bringing their DJ performance to the studio environment.
Eleven Rack Expansion Pack: Expanded Guitar Amp Emulation, Vocal and Bass Workflows and Effects
The Eleven Rack Expansion Pack, a software add-on option for Avid’s award-winning Eleven Rack guitar amp and effects processor, provides a series of new features and enhancements to the system, including:
- New guitar and bass amp effects emulations—deliver users an expanded sonic palette with 19 new guitar amp and effects emulations, including an all-new bass amp/cabinet simulation that invokes the sounds of legendary bass tones.
- Parametric EQ and studio compressor channel strip effects—allow customers to easily capture vocal and instrument performances using new channel strip-style signal processing.
- Dynamic stereo delay—provides customers more options to enhance their sound, create custom effects and widen their guitar tone with full ducking, panning and filtering control on delay feedback.
- Speaker break-up emulation—re-creates the natural distortion characteristics heard when turning up an analog amp with speaker breakup emulation added to all amps.
New Mbox Family Options: Portable Personal Recording Systems Now Available With or Without Pro Tools
Following on the heels of the Pro Tools version 9 launch in November 2010, Avid is now offering Mbox recording solutions bundled with Pro Tools 9. The new bundles—Pro Tools + Mbox Pro, Pro Tools + Mbox and Pro Tools + Mbox Mini—give musicians and engineers the ability to turn their Mac or PC into a portable recording, mixing and production studio using the industry’s most popular DAW for an Avid-advantaged workflow. For the first time ever, customers can also opt to purchase the Mbox Pro, Mbox or Mbox Mini as a standalone recording interface for use with their favorite third-party audio software. This flexibility enables customers to design a workflow that best suits their needs.
Pricing and availability
Venom is available today starting at $599 USD.
Torq 2.0 is available for a free trial download today at www.avid.com/torq2trial. Torq 2.0 will be available worldwide via digital download on February 8, 2011 for $249.99 USD. The boxed version of Torq 2.0 will be available later in Q1.
The Eleven Rack Expansion Pack will be available worldwide on March 22, 2011 for $99 USD via the Avid Web store only.
Pricing for Pro Tools + Mbox bundles begins at $699.99 for Pro Tools + Mbox Mini, $899.99 for Pro Tools + Mbox and $1,099.99 for Pro Tools + Mbox Pro. Pricing for standalone Mbox interfaces begins at $299.99 for the Mbox Mini, $499.99 for the Mbox and $799.99 for the Mbox Pro. All options will be available worldwide on March 21, 2011.
For regions outside of the U.S., please see your local retailer for pricing. For more information on features and availability, visit: www.avid.com.
Avid creates the digital audio and video technology used to make the most listened to, most watched and most loved media in the world—from the most prestigious and award-winning feature films, music recordings, television shows, live concert tours and news broadcasts, to music and movies made at home. Some of Avid’s most influential and pioneering solutions include Media Composer®, Pro Tools, Interplay®, ISIS®, VENUE, Oxygen 8, Sibelius®, System 5, and Pinnacle Studio™. For more information about Avid solutions and services, visit www.avid.com, del.icio.us, Flickr, Twitter and YouTube; connect with Avid on Facebook; or subscribe to Avid Industry Buzz.
© 2011 Avid Technology, Inc. All rights reserved. Product features, specifications, system requirements and availability are subject to change without notice. All prices are USMSRP for the U.S. and Canada only and are subject to change without notice. Contact your local Avid office or reseller for prices outside the U.S. and Canada. Avid, the Avid logo, Pro Tools, Media Composer, Interplay, ISIS, Sibelius, Pinnacle Studio, M-Audio, Venom, Torq, Eleven, Mbox, Pro Tools M-Powered, Traq Morph, Xponent and Conectiv are trademarks or registered trademarks of Avid Technology, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries. The Interplay name is used with the permission of the Interplay Entertainment Corp. which bears no responsibility for Avid products. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.